Friday, April 12, 2013

Fit Friday.... of a Different Kind

Today's Fit Friday has a different theme.  Sure, eating a healthy diet is important, enjoying your favorite less-than-healthy treats in moderation is key, and of course being physically active is important.

Today is different.  Today I want to remind you to do something for the fitness of your mental health.  This hits very close to home for me because today marks 9 years since my dad passed away.  I remember it every year, and I remember it very well.

9 years?  Isn't that quite some time ago?

Well, yeah, it is.  But for me, I didn't really start or finish the grieving process until a few years ago, so it still feels more recent than past.  It took me a really long time to get past April 12, 2004.

Every April afterward was very, very difficult for me.  Until James came along, with an estimated due date of April 10.  I was convinced, and even hoped, that he was going to come on April 12, which would have made me quite happy since the first ultrasound we ever had for the then-bean was on August 31, which would have been my dad's birthday.   I prayed for it.  God had other plans though, and definitely knew what He was doing by sending him when He did.  Regardless, God gave me the greatest blessing in life, replacing a previously tough time with the greatest joy I could ever receive.

I still miss my dad very much, and think of him often.  I find myself just wanting to ask his advice.  He had the best life experience.  And I will forever treasure the mornings of him making sausage gravy, biscuits, and eggs for us.  And going over to the Chinese buffet for lunch.  Or the time that I must have been 7 or 8 and I made us "lunch" of cheese and crackers.  Or going with him on all his pastor house calls.  And when we had NO MONEY, but he made sure I had a prom dress.  Or stinking up my kitchen making him those disgusting bread and butter pickles that he loved.  And even the times when I felt like he was SO STRICT with me, but as a mom, I now understand everything he was trying to protect me from.  And I'm grateful.

So, the purpose of this post is not to depress you.  Its to encourage you to deal with things as they come.  Don't put it off.  Do what you need to do to give yourself closure over anything in life that requires it.  I could have saved myself so much heartache had I dealt with my dad's death back when it happened.  But I am older and wiser now and know better.  This, coming from the queen of internalizing, is pretty huge.

Just remember that your noggin could use some working out sometimes too - and sometimes you can even combine the two!  Sometimes I feel like I have the greatest clarity of mind after a great Turbo or Insanity session!  And I've said before that during a particularly intense portion of Body Pump, I can usually be heard repeating Philippians 4:13.  Do what YOU need to do for YOU... if you have read my blog at all, you know where I stand on taking it to God - very much pro.

Well, that's it for my ramblings for today.... I have a certain little person who would like to play blocks, and I am going to oblige.

Have a great weekend, do something for yourself, and I'll see you soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!