Monday, August 5, 2013

Review - ENERGYbits!


Have you every heard of ENERGYbits?

I had not... until I really started making friends in the fitness industry and blogosphere.  I kept hearing other athletes, particularly runners, always chattering away about being "powered by bits" and how this super food was just really, well, super.

I really wanted to give the "bits" a try, but found them a little pricey.  The good people at ENERGYbits were gracious enough to send me a 2-serving container to try out for myself.

Before I go any further, just what are ENERGYbits, you ask?  Okay, I'm going to tell you, but you have to hear it all out, because I'll be honest, it's going to sound really weird.

ENERGYbits are algae.  Spirulina algae to be exact.  Now, this meant nothing to me when I first heard of these, so I'll explain.  Spirulina algae is a food, not a supplement (if you know me, you know that I am very cautious with supplements), and a whole food at that - meaning there is one ingredient, algae.  From ENERGYbits:

"When algae is taken prior to a run, race, game or competition it improves your energy, propels your performance, increases your stamina and eliminates your fatigue or hunger.  When taken after a run or workout run, it speeds your recovery, reduces inflammation and builds more muscle.  Not bad for something straight from nature that was the first plant life on earth 2.5 billion years ago.   Even better, all these benefits (and more) are delivered without caffeine, chemicals, sugar, fructose, preservatives, gluten, soy or animal products.  All of our algae tabs are grown organically, are 100% vegan, 100% raw, 100% non GMO, 100% kosher, and contain over 40 vitamins and minerals.  ENERGYbits algae are 64% protein (the highest concentration of protein in the world), are loaded with Omega 3, have the second highest concentration of GLA (another critical fatty acid), and release nitric oxide into the body naturally.  All for just one calorie per tab....all the protein in algae is already in amino acid form so it is absorbed INSTANTLY.  This allows our algae to deliver a constant and steady stream of energy without a rush or crash and also without stomach distress."

There is a TON more information that you can find on the ENERGYbits website.  I really like that ENERGYbits are a food, not a supplement, and that it is a natural, whole-food product.  Occasionally, I will use a protein powder supplement if I am struggling to meet my protein needs for the day, and I am planning to start taking L-glutamine, as some fellow instructors advised, to help with the physical demands when you're an instructor, but otherwise, I avoid supplements.  So the fact that ENERGYbits are a food is a plus, and I checked - it's FDA-approved.  And the recommended serving is 30 tabs (they look like little pills) that you swallow with water, so we're talking 30 calories - also a win in my book.

I tried these on 2 occasions, both of which I was incredibly exhausted and needed to survive just a few more hours being "on" as an instructor.  Here are my thoughts:

Pros
-almost-instant energy (and seriously I was tired...like when all you want to do is cry)
-no jitters
-only 30 calories
-no stomach issues

Cons
-fish food smell and (what I imagine) taste
-a bit pricey ($115 for about 33 servings)

So those are my thoughts.  Truly, once I got past the smell and taste, I really did feel like ENERGYbits fulfilled their claims.

Have you tried ENERGYbits?  I'd love to hear your thoughts.

*ENERGYbits provided me with the samples, no other compensation, and all thoughts/opinions are entirely my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!