Friday, July 26, 2013

Fit Friday - Let's Build Some Muscle! ... a peek into my "lesson" plan....

Happy (early) Friday morning!

I have to tell you, I am never up this early.  As I am beginning this post, my clock reads 5:42am.  Even with a child, I am never up this early.  Trust me, I know how blessed I am in this area!

But alas, I knew that as soon as I was attempting to plan out my Friday, something was bound to change.  No complaints here - I'm happy to have another class to sub - but it does make for an early morning if I want to have any kind of relaxation time to myself.  Today will be busy and physically demanding, but I am thankful for it.  And this "early" aspect is nothing - next month I will do two Wednesday mornings that require me to get up around 4:30am, and then beginning in September, my Fridays will consist of a 4:30am wake up to teach at 5:15, followed by teaching again at 8:15.  Am I crazy?  Maybe.  I think I'm mostly excited to have guaranteed work!

I already had one class to teach on my schedule for this evening, but with the surprise of adding one for this morning, and one for tomorrow morning, I decided I would share parts of my plans for my attendees.  Each class involves strength training, so here is what I have put together - not all moves will appear in all 3 classes, but I promise if you want to work your entire body with a little of this and a little of that, this is for you!

You will need a step (or box, anything you can step onto, at least 4 inches off the ground), hand weights, and a mat.  Spend at least 5 minutes warming up.

step-ups with bicep curl - 8 each leg
single-leg deadlift with single-arm overhead press - 8 each leg/arm
step-ups with hip extension and bent-arm lateral raise - 8 each leg
Repeat 2x

tricep dips with single-leg lift - 16 (8 each leg if lifting leg)
pushups / chaturanga pushups - 16 total, any combination
pec deck - lateral raise into rotation, close arms, reverse sequence - 8
Repeat 2x

squat series - 12 weighted squats, 12 squat presses, 12 squat pulses
squat with one leg on step, weighted - 8 each leg
speed skaters, weighted, slow movement - 8 each leg
Repeat 2x

Plank Series (from FitSugar)
plank mountain climber - 1 minute
elbow plank with donkey kick - 30 seconds each leg
plank walk - 1 minute
side plank with leg lift - 30 seconds each leg
birddog - 30 seconds each side
Repeat

Chris said that his muscles are burning just hearing my notes... we'll see what the class thinks.  That squat series is my favorite though!

What about you?  What's on your agenda for Friday?  Workout?  Rest day?  Whatever your plan, I hope you're getting ready for a great weekend!  And don't forget, if you're in the St. Louis area, check here for a discount code for the Color Me Rad 5k and join me there this Sunday!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!