Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Tasty Snack Tuesday - Carrot Cake Powerballs!

These are seriously so good.

Well, if you life carrot cake, that is. *(If you don't, see my note at the end for a substitution.)

I recently ordered produce from my local co-op, and happened to get a nice bunch of carrots.  I had been saving this recipe for the next time I actually remembered to grab carrots at the grocery, so what timing!  Side note - if you have a local co-op, you should consider using them.  In our area, there are pick-up locations EVERYWHERE.  The one closest to me is about 2 miles away, and for $21.50, I got a TON of high-quality produce.  Definitely a fan!

Carrot Cake Powerballs

10 dates, pitted and chopped
6 tablespoons cashew butter (or nut butter of your choice, but I love cashew butter for these)
1 cup dry oats
3 carrots, peeled and chopped small or grated
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2-1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4-1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4-1/2 teaspoon cloves
3/4 cup shredded coconut

Add all ingredients but the coconut to a food processor and process until well-combined.  You should have a thick paste.  If you find the "dough" too sticky to work with, put it in the freezer for 10-15 minutes.  Then roll it by the tablespoon into balls and coat with coconut.  You can either store these in the refrigerator, but I like to keep them in the freezer.  They will not freeze completely solid and are a perfect cold treat on a hot day.  I got 27 balls out of this recipe.  Each one will set you back about 60 calories - not bad!


I would love to experiment with adding a little vanilla protein powder to these and making them into a protein treat.  But, just as they are, these are delicious!  Make sure to start out on the low end with the spices though - you know I love cinnamon, but sometimes the other spices can be overpowering, so add them in small amounts at first and adjust to your taste.  Enjoy!

*If you do not like carrot cake, consider adding dried apple rings in place of the carrots - I haven't tried it, but I think it would be delicious, reminiscent of apple pie maybe.  And you can't go wrong with that!

Recipe from Powercakes via MizFitOnline 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!