Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Tasty Snack Tuesday - Secret Ingredient Chocolate Protein Shake

This is one of my absolute favorite snacks lately.  And the fact that my 2 year old loves it and now asks for "smoobies" because of it, is awesome.  Even my husband liked this.

That is, until Chris found out what the secret ingredient is.  Remember, my husband is missing the genes that incline you to be okay with knowingly eating healthful ingredients (which is why I have to sneak them in most of the time, shhhhh!)

Before I tell you, let me just say that I would never have tried this some months ago. I would have deemed this a "hippie vegan" recipe and snubbed my nose at it.

But you know what?  This secret ingredient is flavorless.  But, it adds thickness, creaminess, and best of all, natural, not-powdered (ie, child-friendly) protein!

Okay, are you ready?

It's tofu, people.  TOFU.

Now, maybe you're vegan or a vegetarian and this doesn't sound crazy.  Well, our house is far from either of these, so this was crazy to me.  And then I tried it.  And its flipping awesome.  Here's what I do:

Secret Ingredient Chocolate Protein Shake

1 cup milk of your choice (I use skim milk for an extra protein boost)
6 ounces Nigari silken tofu (or whatever kind you want, I get this from Trader Joe's and its $1.50 for 12 ounces)
2 tablespoons Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder
sweetener of choice (I like liquid stevia)
about 1 cup ice

Mix it all up in your blender or with an immersion blender and enjoy!  Made with these exact ingredients will give you a shake for right about 200 calories, only 5 grams of fat, and 22 grams of protein!  I frequently have this mid afternoon to hold me until dinner.  Sometimes, if James has just gotten up from a nap, he will share it with me and he loves it!

I promise you with everything in me, if you're a tofu-hater like I was, you will never taste the tofu in this.  It just gives a creamier texture.  I have tried a firmer tofu in this when I was using what was left from something else, and I did not care for the texture.  It never became smooth.  But this kind, the one listed above, blends up so smoothly.  I love it.  Its a staple in my pantry now.  When you buy it, you don't even have to refrigerate it until you open the box it comes in.  Pretty cool.

So I dare you - try it!  You'll see.  Super yummy!

Recipe from Chocolate Covered Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!