Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Oral I.V. Review


Have you ever heard of Oral I.V.?

I had not heard of this product, but given that the nature of my job as a fitness instructor is fairly dependent on adequate hydration, I jumped at the opportunity to try it out.  You're probably wondering, what is Oral I.V.?  From their website:

"ORAL I.V. is a revolutionary hydration aid product based on a proprietary formula of crystalloid electrolytes and purified water. ORAL I.V. does not contain any sugars, caffeine or stimulants, additives, preservatives or artificial ingredients. It can be consumed directly or added to water. Individuals can use ORAL I.V. as an addition to their existing hydration methods and to support dehydration prevention.  ORAL I.V. is produced to the highest standards of quality under rigorous manufacturing controls. ORAL I.V. is manufactured in a facility that follows current Good Manufacturing Practice (cGMP) requirements according to ISO 9001 standards."

Oral I.V. is meant to aid in hydration and recovery, especially during and after very intense exercise.  The timing of receiving my samples was perfect - I was about to begin my craziest week of teaching yet, 14 classes to be exact.  To me, that's a lot for anyone, but was a lot especially for me, still a newbie.  On days that involved more than one class, I would add a vial to my water bottle, either before class or after.

The pros?  Oral I.V. is tasteless, odorless, colorless.... I tried a few drops on their own, and they just tasted like water.  Adding a vial to my water couldn't have been easier.  I loved that their was no weird smell or taste.  Another major pro?  No dehydration headaches during that insane week.  And I love that there's no sugar, caffeine, or preservatives in each tube.

The cons?  One small one, and one big one.  The small one is that  I don't know beyond a shadow of a doubt if Oral I.V. is what kept me going that week.  My thirst was unquenchable and I was downing water like it might dry up!  I also tried to get as much extra rest as possible, even napping when my 2-year-old napped, something I rarely take the time to do.

The big con?  Aside from the price ($11.99 for a 4-pack), I feel like the information on the website is not crystal clear about what Oral I.V. actually does.  I said that the tube was like drinking water.... that makes me question if there is much more than water in there.

The bottom line?  I feel that I would need to use Oral I.V. over a very extended time period to know for sure if it is necessary in my recovery routine.  However, I can tell you that it certainly didn't hurt anything!

What are your go-to hydration and/or recovery methods?  If you have used Oral I.V., what are your thoughts?

*Full disclosure - I received two 4-packs of Oral I.V. to review.  I received no other compensation, and all reviews and opinions are my own.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!