Monday, February 4, 2013

Starting the Pushups and Crunches Party!

I am so excited about this challenge!  And I am even more excited because Chris is doing it right along with me!  We both workout to eat to a degree, but we are 100% different in that I love working out as much, if not more than I love eating, and Chris.... well, like I said, he works out so that he can eat.  He's not in love with it.  But that's fine, not everyone is.  At any rate, I was so excited that he wanted to take the challenge too.

Chris's initial test of good-form pushups yielded 25, and my test yielded 23.... My husband will read this and will say to himself, wow, my super-competitive-in-the-gym-wife actually had a lower number and admits it?  Yes, yes, I did and I am, though right around number 19 this morning, James was literally trying to crawl on me and then under me.  It was actually kind of funny (I love when he sees me working out and then tries to imitate me, like when he sees me doing jump squats and then starts jumping, its endearing).  At any rate, our numbers from our initial tests put us at a recommendation of beginning the Hundred Pushups challenge in week 3.  Each of the 3 days consists of 5 sets, with at least a 60-second break between sets, more if needed.  Here is the breakdown:

Day 1 - 12, 17, 13, 13, max (at least 17)
Day 2 - 14, 19, 14, 14, max (at least 19)
Day 3 - 16, 21, 15, 15, max (at least 21)

Now, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at least slightly intimidated by this, so I'm just going to be honest and say that YES, I am slightly intimidated.  But then I think about how much strength I have during BodyPump classes, and I definitely never thought I would be there.  Its pretty gratifying to look around and be one of only a few girls doing X amount of weight on a given exercise.  On a serious note, its a reminder to continually keep myself healthy, instead of considering skipping meals here and there in an effort to be stick-thin (that's a soap box I will probably get on a lot here, be ready).

I also said that I wanted to do the crunch challenge (but the end goal is 200, as opposed to the 100 pushups).  My initial test yielded 90 crunches before I really started to feel like I might lose form, which puts me beginning the program on Week 3.  The format is the same, with the following breakdown:

Day 1 - 21, 27, 21, 21, max (at least 30)
Day 2 - 30, 38, 23, 23, max (at least 38)
Day 3 - 33, 42, 30, 30, max (at least 45)

This one I am less intimidated by.  Core strength is something I have been working really hard at, especially after having James, but that doesn't mean I expect this to be easy.

At the end of the week, I will report on our progress.  In the meantime, I'll have at least a couple of delicious healthy treats to share with you.  For now, it's time for my little Thomas-the-Train-loving-monster and I to get ready to head to the gym.  We have a busy day planned, and I am hopeful that he will surprise me and have a repeat of yesterday's 3-hour nap so that I can get in some more quality studying of my exercise science book for my group fitness training.

Have an awesome day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!