Friday, February 8, 2013

Fit Friday with Chai Oatmeal

Hooray for Friday!  I hope you've been having a great week.  And if it's been less than great, I hope you get to look forward to the weekend!

It might be Fit Friday, but I think today may be this mama's day off from working out this week.  I usually reserve Saturday for my rest, but after pushing really hard in BodyPump yesterday AND coming home to do my pushups challenge, I'm a feeling a little beaten up.  I am very fortunate that when I go to my gym, James walks excitedly into the childcare room and never looks back at me.  He is SO social, and its a huge blessing.  That said, I'm looking forward to spending the day running errands with him and sitting on the couch reading some of his favorite books, and of course watching as he sings and dances to his favorite Thomas the Tank Engine songs.

(And a side note from yesterday - when I came home to do my 5 sets of pushups, James decided to join me.  If I can ever get a picture, I will share it with you.  It was THE CUTEST thing ever.  He got in plank position and did a few nice pushups for a toddler!  It was so endearing.  And then he showed Daddy when Chris came home.  BEST moment of the week by far.  That, and when he came chasing me with his little lips puckered up saying "ooooooooo", which is what he does when he wants to kiss you.  Melted my heart.)

Anyway.  Working out might not happen today, but I took our lack of a scheduled morning to make an oatmeal recipe I've been saving.  If you like oatmeal, and also spiced black teas, this is for you!  I don't have a picture, but here's the barely adapted recipe:

Chai Oatmeal

1 chai tea bag steeped in 1/2 cup boiling water for 3 minutes
1/2 cup quick oats
1/2 milk
1/2 cup of thawed frozed sliced peaches
2 teaspoons maple syrup (or honey)
cinnamon to taste
splash of vanilla extract

Discard the tea bag after steeping and combine the tea, oats, and milk in a microwave-safe bowl.  Microwave for about a minute and a half (depending on the power of your microwave, this was perfect for me).  Add the peach slices, maple syrup, cinnamon, and maple syrup, stir, and enjoy!  The original recipe suggests adding pecans, which I think would be great, but we didn't have any.

This oatmeal was a perfect blend of spice and sweet.  I'm not usually a fan of peach-flavored foods (like yogurt or ice cream), but the peach really complemented the chai spice, which itself was not too overpowering.  I personally like my chai-anything to be very spicy, but not everyone loves the cardamom that is in chai.  This was a great balance.  I will definitely be making this again.

Original recipe from Fitness Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!