Friday, February 15, 2013

Fit Friday and a Great Core Workout!

I hope you had a great Valentine's Day!  This weekend, I'll share recipes with you from what I made last night for our dinner and dessert, which, if I do say so myself, were oh SO delicious!  Our meal included the best bread I have ever made, and a cake made with a LOT of champagne.  It was to die for.  But, it's Fit Friday, so we'll save that for later.

Today I have a great core workout to share with you.  I found it on Pinterest some time ago and I like to do it when I am looking for a few minutes of quality ab work, but am tired of my usual routines.  It's named the "Burning Core Pyramid", and believe me, your core will burn, but its a good burn.  You can find the original post here, but I also have it written out for you here:

50 crunches
40 mountain climbers
30 side crunches (that's 30 on EACH side)
20 in and outs
10 scissors
20 in and outs
30 side crunches
40 mountain climbers
50 crunches

I like to add even more variety by doing variations of the listed reps.  For example, I might do the first 50 crunches as regular crunches, then do the last 50 as reverse crunches.  You can make it yours, just make it burn!

Also, here's an update on pushups and crunches!  Here's what this week looks like for pushups:

Day 1 - 18, 22, 16, 16, max (at least 25)
Day 2 - 20, 25, 20, 20, max (at least 28)
Day 3 - 23, 28, 23, 23, max (at least 33)

Crunches:

Day 1 - 32, 38, 32, 32, max (at least 48)
Day 2 - 38, 45, 38, 38, max (at least 54)
Day 3 - 45, 50, 45, 45, max (at least 60)

For both pushups and crunches, the program says to do an exhaustion test at the end of this week to see where you're at for your max.  The program also advises that if you feel you need to repeat a week, go ahead.  You need to be comfortable at the end of each week.  Pushing, but comfortable.  I may need to repeat this week.  A couple of times in the past few weeks, I've worked a little too much during chest presses at BodyPump and have felt the wrong kind of burn in my right rotator cuff (you know what I mean, there's the "good" burn, and there's the "bad" burn, learn the difference, and don't EVER force yourself through the "bad" burn).  So I carefully choose my days of pushups, and I have to set my ego aside and only use my warm-up weight during chest presses in class.

What are your plans for the weekend?  You should come to St. Louis and do this with me!  And anyone giving me the side-eye right now should know that I will NOT be wearing any less than what I would be okay with James seeing someday when he's older, okay?  Its a very short run (only about a mile), and I miss races so very much, but I think my knee can handle a mile, so I signed up!  It will be cold, but fun!

I think that's it for today!  Get your workout on, eat something healthy (you know, to balance out Valentine's Day snacking.... maybe that's just a reminder for me...), and stay tuned for a couple of delicious recipes that you'll want to add to your collection!

Have a GREAT weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!