Wednesday, August 7, 2013

PiYo Strength!

This past Sunday, I spent my day having a blasting at PiYo Strength instructor training!  It was awesome.

A description of PiYo Strength:

 "PiYo™ is a unique class designed to build strength & gain flexibility. The moves fit perfectly together to form a class filled with intense choreography that’s fun, challenging and will make you sweat. It’s about energy, power, and rhythm. Think sculpted abdominals, increased overall core strength, and greater stability.  In a nutshell, PiYo™ will rock your world!"

The class is a fusion of pilates and yoga, but I usually like to refer to it as yoga on crack.  While I do believe in the fantastic benefits of both pilates and yoga, I find traditional classes just terribly boring.  I feel like I should be moving more, not wanting to lay down and fall asleep (of course, this is spoken by the girl who has an undying true love for burpees).

PiYo begins with a warm up of dynamic stretching exercises, moves into heat building, fusion, power, and flow, and concludes with strength, stretching, core work, and a cooldown.  You do a lot of sun salutations, pushup, lunge, and squat variations, and balance exercises, all at choreographed speeds with music, and you.  will.  sweat.  One of the best parts - all you need is a mat!

One thing I love about PiYo is that, as instructors, we use the PiYo music and the class format, but we have the freedom to make the class our own.  It is much less rigid than other choreographed formats, and there is so much room for providing options to your students.  This is perfect for a new instructor such as myself.

PiYo encompasses everything you need to maintain fitness - cardio, strength, stretching, and balance.  (And for the record, no one is paying me for that, it's my true opinion.)  I really, really recommend this class!

I'd love to know - have you taken PiYo Strength?  What do you like/dislike about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!