Monday, November 4, 2013

Pumpkin Bread with Chocolate Chips

Joining the pumpkin bandwagon here!

The kids got up very early this morning and were very much in need of some quiet time in order to make it through the rest of the day.  So I'm sitting here drinking my Trader Joe's pumpkin coffee (amazing), and just finished snacking on my favorite pumpkin bread recipe ever.  In this beautiful silence, I thought I'd share.

I even made it a smidge healthier..... really, just a smidge, but come on, it all counts, right?

I used to make this bread all.  the.  time..... so much so that I got really sick of it.  But now, with fall upon us, and remembering my love of all things pumpkin lately, I needed to make it.  Plus, one of our very sweet neighbors across the street made us a lovely welcome-to-the-neighborhood gift when we first moved in, and I wanted to bake something for him and his wife.  So, they will be getting a loaf of this delicious bread in a few hours.

I only made a few changes to the recipe, very minute in the grand scheme of things.  I used flax eggs (you don't have to, but it its half the calories), and I only used 2 cups of sugar instead of 3.  I think you could even cut it down more.  I also used Smart Balance instead of oil.  Here's the recipe the way I made it:

Pumpkin Bread with Chocolate Chips

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cloves
4 flax eggs
1 cup Smart Balance butter (melted)
2/3 cup water
1 15oz can pumpkin puree
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease 2 loaf pans (whatever size, I used a 4x8 and a 5x9 because that's all I have, trust me, it's fine).  Combine all ingredients except the chocolate chips and mix (or stir) on low until just combined.  Fold in the chocolate chips and divide between the loaf pans.  Bake for 50-65 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean, or with moist crumbs.  Enjoy!

I love, love, love this recipe.  Hopefully our neighbor will love it too!

What about you?  What's your all-time favorite pumpkin recipe?

Recipe from Runner's World

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!