Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Tasty Snack Tuesday - German Chocolate ... but Healthy!

Is that even possible????

Well, in my opinion, not exactly, but this recipe is super tasty and as close to healthy German chocolate cake as you can get.

Yesterday was my friend Sunny's birthday (you know, I told you all about her here), and knowing that she loves German chocolate cake, but didn't want a huge mass of unhealthy - though delicious! - cake sitting around her house tempting her, I went on the lookout for something healthier but still so satisfying.  Fortunately, I found these.  I followed the recipe almost exactly, except I quadrupled it so that there would be some extra for us and some to take to our UrbanChurch prelaunch meeting on Sunday night.  Here's the recipe in single-batch version:

German-Chocolate Fudge Bites

3/4 cup pitted dates (120 grams, I used the Sunsweet kind)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
tiniest pinch of salt
2 tablespoons Hershey's dark cocoa powder
2 tablespoons shredded coconut
1/3 cup crushed pecans
extra coconut and pecans for rolling

Combine everything except the extra coconut and pecans in a food processor and pulse to thoroughly combine.  I took the advice of the original blogger and put the "dough" in a plastic bag to further smash it together.  I used my half-tablespoon to roll out balls (when I quadrupled the recipe, I got about 70 balls).  If you want, add equal parts coconut and pecans to your food processor and grind it up and then coat the balls in it.  Store in your refrigerator.  You could also press your mixture into a pan and cut these into bars.

I will tell you honestly, there is no substitute for eating true German chocolate cake, BUT these little chocolate balls are VERY tasty!!  My 2-year-old went CRAZY for them!  And at only about 50 calories a pop, you can't go wrong.  And in case it's a concern of yours, these are also vegan.  So go make these and enjoy!

Recipe from Chocolate Covered Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!