Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Tasty Snack Tuesday - Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Bars

 
Love oatmeal?  Check.

Love bananas?  Check.

Love peanut butter?  CHECK.

Enter these peanut butter banana oatmeal bars - the trifecta of my 3 favorite breakfast components!  These bars are somewhat of a densely baked oatmeal, complete with a touch of healthy fats and good protein, and not too sweet if that's not your thing (ahem, someone I know quite well is reading this saying, yep, you know that's me!).  They are perfect for breakfast or a post-workout snack.  Check out the recipe:

Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Bars

1 1/2 cups quick oats
1/4 cup brown sugar or applesauce
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk of your choice (I used skim)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1 banana, mashed

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.  Lightly grease an 8 x 8 pan.  The rest is so simple - I just threw everything but the banana in a medium sized mixing bowl and stirred until it was well combined.  Then add the banana, pour into the prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes.  That's it!  Cut into 8 servings and enjoy!

I have to tell you - I used applesauce in the recipe, and I will be honest, I think I'll throw in the brown sugar next time.  It's not that much of a calorie cost, and I think these could use a touch more sweetness.  BUT, if you choose to go the applesauce route, I think the perfect addition to these would be a spoonful of Faux Cookie Dough Dip for the perfect sweetness!

And in case you're wondering, as I usually am, if made with applesauce and skim milk, one bar won't even cost you 120 calories!  So using brown sugar will only add about 20 calories.  Worth it for the sweetness?  I'm thinking yes.

I hope you're enjoying your Tuesday!  Make yourself a tasty, healthy snack and enjoy the rest of the week!

Recipe adapted from Food.com

1 comment:

I would love to hear from you!