Sunday, February 10, 2013

Sweet Sunday - Malted Oatmeal Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookies

We are coming to the end of another great weekend of togetherness in our house.  Today we woke up to the lovely sound of rain on our windows.  It was a perfect day for baking and lounging around the house!  I love, love, love planning what I'm going to bake on Sunday afternoons (and especially lately because we're about to cut a few certain sweets from our house, but more on that later this week).

During the last few days, I've had a pretty ravenous craving for oatmeal cookies.  So, on the hunt for a good recipe I went.  After a fair amount of searching, I found a very interesting recipe, not your normal oatmeal raisin cookie (mostly because the big man of the house doesn't eat raisins).  This one has malt powder in it, which I have always wanted to bake with, but hadn't gotten around to it, though we have it on hand.  Curious, and satisfied that this would go well with the chocolate chips and pretzels also in the recipe, I went to work.  Here is my adapted recipe (really only adapted based on what I had in the pantry):

Malted Oatmeal Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 1/2 cups quick oats
2 cups self-rising flour
3/4 cup malted milk powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup white granular sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup whole milk
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1 cup crushed pretzels

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  In a medium bowl, whisk together the oats, flour, malt powder, and baking soda.  In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugars, then add the eggs, followed by the milk and vanilla.  Beat until everything is well-blended, then, on low speed, add the oats mixture and mix until just combined.  Then fold in the chocolate chips and pretzel pieces.  Drop dough by the tablespoon onto your baking sheet and leave about 2 inches between each bit of dough.  Bake for 10-12 minutes (10 was perfect for me).  You want the edges just browning, but the middle to still look under-done - don't worry, after 5 minutes of cooling, the cookies will be perfect!

 

I want to add a note about 1 major difference in the recipe above and the original.  The original of course called for all-purpose flour, of which I was somehow completely out!  This never happens, and in the pouring rain, I wasn't going out for flour.  So, I followed a substitution I have used before with great success in biscuits - I used self-rising flour and omitted the baking powder and salt (I found this recommendation on my go-to site, foodsubs.com).  I also did not have traditional rolled oats, only quick oats, and those usually sub for each other just fine.  And I just skipped the peanuts.  I also had a yield of a little over 5 dozen cookies.... Chris's coworkers should be pleasantly surprised this week!

These cookies are delicious.  They have a slight crisp to the outside, and a chewy inner texture.  When the little man of the house got up from his nap, he helped himself to two!

I hope you had a great weekend!  Stay tuned this week for a pushups/crunches update, another "challenge" coming up (not what you would think though), and something fun/funny I have planned for Saturday at 2:30.... let's just say I'm hoping for another warm weekend!

Original cookie recipe from Brown Eyed Baker

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!