Friday, February 22, 2013

Fit Friday and a Circuit Workout

Friday's post is coming to you a little bit late because I had my CPR certification class today at the Red Cross.  This is a requirement of most gyms before you can be hired as a trainer, instructor, etc... So, another item along my fitness path can be checked off the list!

Yesterday was Thursday, which means that I usually go to a cardio/strength class, and I follow it up with BodyPump.  BUT, because of the rotten storm that was beginning as my first class was coming to an end, I nixed BodyPump, which left me wanting a little more since I'm used to an extra-long workout on Thursdays.  So, I came home and did this workout (from one of my favorite fitness sites, fitsugar.com), which you can access via the link, and I will also detail it for you below.  It took me in the neighborhood of 30 minutes to complete, which makes for a nice workout if you don't have a lot of time, but still want to work your entire body, and you don't even need weights, just yourself!  You can also find this workout on my Pinterest Fitness-Workouts board.  Here's what you're going to do:

Warm up with 5 minutes of cardio, so 1 minute of each of the following:

high knees
jumping jacks
running in place
jump rope in place
skip in place

(Alternatively, you can replace one or more of these with a move of your choice.  Do what works for you to get your body warm and heart rate up a little.)

Now we're moving onto the circuits.  Do each circuit 3 times before moving onto the next one.

1st Circuit:
20 squats
15 jump squats
10 burpees

2nd Circuit:
20 mountain climbers
15 pushups
10 bridges (I did tricep dips instead)

3rd Circuit:
20 alternating lunges
15 plie squats
10 calf raises

You're not tired yet!  Finish up with some core work.  Do each of the following for 1 minute:

russian twist (if you are familiar with P90X, this is the same as a Mason twist)
elbow plank
bicycle crunches
superman pose

Now take a deep breath and stretch out!

I really liked this workout.  For being relatively short, I had a bit of a sweat at the end, and believe me, your legs especially will be feeling those squats and lunges!

In keeping with my Fit Friday theme, I should give you a note about the pushups challenge.... hold on, I'm taking a big breath as I check my big fat ego at the door.... I can't do it... right now, anyway.  The pain in my rotator cuff was not going away, and it was not that "good" pain, the kind you want.  On the worst day, it burned, a lot, without me even working out.  That's how I knew it was time to take a step back.

My biggest downfall when it comes to working out is that I love it so much that I tend to WAY overdue it.  In the last year, I have really (I think) learned my lessons - and limits - and right now I'm recognizing my limits.  If I want to keep working out in general and try to build strength with BodyPump, I can't add this challenge right now.  And I realized that's okay - better to be strong and healthy than, well, kind of broken.  BUT, Chris is still pushing through and I'll give you his update soon.  But he's doing great!  He also went to his first BodyPump class with me on Monday since he was off for President's Day and he loved it!  I am very proud of him for trying and even more thrilled that he really enjoyed it.  But he did agree, BodyPump will kick your booty.  But it's supposed to :)

Give this workout a try, and if you do, let me know what you think.  Also, if you're ever unsure what a certain move is, let me know, and I'll post some tutorials.  On more than one occasion, I've had to go to Google with just that kind of question.  But that's how we learn!

I hope you're off to a great weekend, and stay tuned for Sunday's post.... I've got something that's going to be delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!