Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Tasty Snack Tuesday - Cake Batter Protein Bars

I can't believe I haven't shared this recipe with you yet.  It is my absolute favorite snack right now.  Even Chris cannot get enough of these.

Cake Batter Protein Bars

3 tablespoons cashew butter (or peanut butter, but cashew butter REALLY makes them awesome!)
5 tablespoons honey (side note- Trader Joe's creamed honey is amazing)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup dry oats
1 scoop vanilla whey protein*
1 cup rice crispy cereal

*You are looking for a serving size of around 140 calories.  If you are using the Designer Whey protein with the tiny scoops, use about 3.  Also, you don't have to use protein powder.  You could replace it with more oats.  I have done that and these are still delicious.

If you make the cashew butter yourself like I do, it may be a little stiff, so microwave it with the honey and vanilla for about 30 seconds so that it blends more easily.  Then, one ingredient at a time, stir in the oats, protein powder, and rice crispies.  Stir until everything is well-combined and then press into a pan (I like to use a 9x5 bread pan lined with wax or parchment paper).  Refrigerate at least an hour and then slice into 6 bars.

Chris and I LOVE these bars.  I make 2-3 batches each week, and let me tell you, they are much less expensive than buying bars at the store, and I know everything that goes into them.  They are also versatile - you could add in other things you might like - coconut, raisins, etc.  The possibilities are endless!

Enjoy!  You won't be disappointed if you make these!



Recipe from Chocolate Covered Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!