Friday, June 14, 2013

Fit Friday - Sweet Potato Quinoa Cakes

Its awfully late, but it is indeed still Friday, and I have a fabulously healthy and tasty recipe to share with you!

My good friend Kristin actually stumbled upon this recipe from How Sweet Eats.  Like Kristin, I am always on the hunt for new, healthy, and most importantly, delicious recipes to try.  Sometimes I feel like we just eat the same things in our dinner rotation far too often (which I think Chris is fine with, but I really enjoy variety).

I finally got around to making this yesterday and my goodness is this recipe ever delicious!  Sweet potato, quinoa, some onion and spices and you are set!  Best of all, you could easily make a huge batch of these tasty "cakes" (to me, they're more of a veggie burger) and freeze them while barely scratching the surface of your grocery budget.  This will become a staple in my kitchen for sure.  Now, if only I could find a way to get my husband to eat these.

Sweet Potato Quinoa Cakes

1/4 cup dry, uncooked quinoa (basically, you want at least 1/2 cup cooked, and quinoa will double and then some when you cook it, so I just measured 1/4 cup dry and used all of it)
7 ounces peeled, cubed sweet potato (I measured this on my food scale, just use a small-medium sweet potato)
1/2 red onion
1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 garlic cloves
1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons cilantro
2 tablespoons basil
1 egg OR 1 flax egg

Cook the quinoa according to package directions and set aside.  Heat 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and then add the sweet potato cubes, onion, salt, and pepper.  Cover and cook until the sweet potato is tender, about 10-12 minutes.  Add the garlic and cook for another minute.  Remove from heat and mash the mixture with a fork.  If using a flax egg, make it by combining 1 tablespoon of ground flax with 2 tablespoons of water (your package will probably say 3 tablespoons of water, I personally like just 2 for a better "egg" consistency).  Allow the flax-water mixture to sit for a couple of minutes.  Stir the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, spices, quinoa, and flax egg into the sweet potato mixture.  Divide evenly into 5 balls and flatten to "patties".  If you find your mixture is a bit too sticky, put it in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes.  In the same skillet you used to cook the sweet potatoes, add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and cook your "patties" on medium heat for about 3-4 minutes per side.

I have been enjoying eating these in whole wheat pita pockets that I got from Trader Joe's, and I like to add about 2 tablespoons of nonfat, plain Greek yogurt.  It's delicious, and so healthy!  If you use a flax egg, and make 5 servings, each one will yield about 135 calories, only 6 grams of fat, and 5 grams of protein.  Not too bad at all!  Keep your leftovers in the refrigerator and then either reheat in the microwave or toaster oven (as is my preferred method).

I also have to tell you that I completely forgot to add the cilantro and basil and these were still delicious!  I didn't make the blackberry salsa that you will also find in the recipe link if you visit it, but I have to imagine that its quite tasty.

Recipe from How Sweet Eats

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!