Friday, March 29, 2013

Fit Friday - Killer Circuit!

Okay, so, I definitely have not been being a very good blogger.

It is nearly 11pm as I am finishing up this post.....  Sorry?..... Yeah, sorry.

This week has been a bit busier than usual, and I just haven''t had much time.  Earlier this week, we had company, which was a wonderful treat.  On Wednesday, James and I were helping a friend pick out her wedding dress, yesterday was grocery day (always an adventure with a nearly 2-year-old!), and today?  Well, today I was just hoping that my little man would take a real nap at what used to be the normal time so that I could get caught up on studying.  (The nap part did not happen as I had hoped today.)  In between our comings and goings this week, my need to make Hot Cross Buns today, add a case of the sickies in varying levels to everyone in the house and the fact that I am most certainly not Supermom, and that made for not getting much done this week, including the workout I promised you.

However, I still have a great circuit for you (are you noticing that I love circuit workouts?  Intervals are awesome!).  I did this over last weekend on Saturday to finish out my week and I was definitely feeling it (in a good way) the next day, especially in my upper body.  It took me about an hour, though this is probably due to the fact that I had to continually go back to my computer to check what I was doing for the next exercise.  I could have been a bit more efficient in this, but whatever.

Circuit 1
Cardio
Jumping Jacks - 100
Mountain Climbers - 40
High Knees - 40
Squat Jumps - 20
Core
Plank - 60 sec
Towel Ab Knee Tucks - 20
Bicycle Crunches - 45 sec
Decline Plank - 30 sec
Upper Body
Spiderman Pushups - 15
Tricep Chair Dips - 20
Decline Chair Pushups - 15
Lying Superman - 20
Tricep Chair Dips - 15
Lower Body
Chair Lunges - 15/leg
Wall Sit - 45 sec
Burpees - 10
Single Bridges - 10/leg

Circuit 2
Cardio
Jumping Jacks - 75
Mountain Climbers - 50
High Knees - 50
Squat Jumps - 20
Core
Leg Lifts - 20
Side Planks - 45 sec / side
Ab V-Ups - 25
Mason Twists - 30 sec
Ab Pulse-Ups - 10
Upper Body
Pushups - 20
Tricep Chair Dips - 20
Decline Chair Pushups - 20
Lying Superman - 20
Tricep Chair Dips - 15
Lower Body
Chair Lunges - 15
Burpees - 10
Wall Sit - 45 sec
Single Bridges - 10/leg

Circuit 3
Cardio
Jumping Jacks - 50
Mountain Climbers - 60
High Knees - 50
Squat Jumps - 30
Core
Flutter Kicks - 45 sec
Oblique Ab Crunches - 15/side
Plank -60 sec
Wood Chopper Crunches - 12/side
Upper Body
Spiderman Pushups - 15
Tricep Chair Dips - 20
Decline Chair Pushups - failure
Lying Superman - 20
Tricep Chair Dips - failure
Lower Body
Burpees - 10
Wall Sit - 60 sec
Single Bridges - 10/leg
Chair Lunges - failure

Okay, so let's talk about what some of these are.  Don't be intimidated by this workout because some of the exercises have, in some cases, funny names.  I'm including descriptions for anything that the lay exerciser might now know, and definitely things I had to look up.  Anything else unsure, or if my description doesn't make sense (sometimes you just need to see a movement), look at the original link.  There are video tutorials for nearly everything.

Towel Ab Knee Tuck - plank position with toes on a towel (or anything that will easily slide across the floor).  Keeping your core tight, back flat, slowly draw your knees toward your chest, using the towel to help you slide your toes.  Go back to start position and repeat.
Decline Plank - plank, but your feet are on a chair
Spiderman Pushup - do a pushup and everytime you lower your body, draw one knee to the same-side elbow as you flex your foot.  Keep your core very tight - this is great oblique work
Decline Chair Pushups - pushups but with your feet on a chair
Lying Superman - lie on your stomach with your arms stretched out by your head, like you're Superman.  Exhale as you lift everything off the floor, like you're flying through the air.  Inhale as you slowly lower back to the floor.  If this hurts your lower back, you are likely hyperextending.  You just want to get off the floor and hold for a couple of seconds.
Chair Lunges - regular lunge, but your back foot rests on a chair behind you.  It will really test your balance.
Single Bridges - bridge position, but with one leg straight up in the air
Leg Lifts - lie on your back, arms by your side.  Holding legs together, exhale as your raise them so that your body forms a right angle.  Inhale as you lower back to the ground.
Ab V-Ups - these are pretty tough.  This is my modification - lie down.  In one swift, controlled motion, exhale as you sit up to a 45 degree angle while at the same time pulling your legs up in a V-formation and reaching your arms through.  Inhale as you release.
Mason Twist - sit at a 45 degree angle, knees up and parallel to the floor.  Clasp your hands together and reach toward your hips, back and forth, twisting.
Ab Pulse-Ups - lie back and raise your legs to form a 90 degree angle.  Using your lower abs, exhale as you raise your hips straight up in the air.  Try not to rock, its just a tiny movement.
Wood Chopper Crunches - lie back.  As you sit up, lead with your right arm as you draw your left leg up and reach your arm toward your foot in a chopping motion.  Repeat with the left arm and right leg.

You're all set now for a great workout this weekend.  As for me, I got my BodyPump on today, and was super stoked that for the second time now I have been able to complete the entire biceps track.  And seriously, in my head I was repeating, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" over and over.  It was pretty awesome.  I'm thinking a date with Shaun T is in store for tomorrow.  I've got in itch for some intense cardio, and for that, nothing satifies like Insanity.

I hope you are off to a great Easter weekend.  We had an incredible Good Friday service tonight at church, and tomorrow we will attend our actual Easter service.  James will get to go to an egg hunt, and on Sunday we'll have rack of lamb, hot cross buns (traditionally made on Good Friday, which I did, and its a recipe that I cannot wait to share with you!), corn on the cob, roasted garlic risotto, and, Chris's request, red velvet cake.  We'll have good food, good friends, and I am just really excited to celebrate the greatest event in history.

Have a GREAT weekend!

Original workout from Lean It Up



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!