Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Let's Talk about Tabata!

As I mentioned in my most recent Five for Friday post, I was hired on at another gym as of last week.  To be honest, this is the gym of my dreams - amazing studios (FOUR group studios!  Four!), a spa (complete with a sweet employee discount), and clients who are there to work.... I'm so excited, I can hardly stand it!

Right off the bat, I will be taking over a class after the beginning of January.  I'm taking over their BURN class, which is currently taught in Tabata format.  I touched on Tabata in this post, but have you ever tried it?  There's even an App you can get for your phone (note to self - put said App on your sweet new iPhone!).... it's very simple - 20 seconds of hard work, 10 seconds of rest... and repeat!  True Tabata has 8 rounds of this work/rest cycle for a total of 4 minutes, but my class is going to be an hour long.  I love it because for the first third or so of your workout, you think, 'wow, this isn't very hard'.... and then the work really sets in!  Those short intervals start to creep up on you and the fatigue starts setting in.  It's such a good burn!

Tabata is a fantastic way to build your anaerobic endurance because it's all about intervals and short recoveries.  Tabata can also be a very home-friendly workout!  Before joining a gym, I'd do variations of this frequently while James played or napped.  I wanted to give you some ideas to try out:

high knees
squats / squat jumps
lunges / jump lunges
burpees
mountain climbers
jacks with shoulder presses
plank jacks
pushups
tricep dips
planks / side planks

The possibilities are endless!

Have you tried Tabata?

Do you have any ideas to add to the list?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!